Common Questions

Q: I just purchased a tray of mushrooms and found out there was something stuck on the mushroom which looked like a human hair. I'm hoping it was just a piece of the bedding from the soil, what was that??

‚ÄčA: This is a very common question that arises, in large part due to the fact that mushrooms are grown in layer of peat moss, which sits on top of the soil to help keep the mushrooms hydrated. The peat moss's appearance strongly resembles that of human hair. It is standard practice for all employees to wear hair nets and beard nets to prevent human hair from contaminating the mushrooms. We do our best to remove all peat moss from the mushrooms during harvest. However, it's not uncommon for a stray piece of peat moss fiber to stick to the mushrooms when they're being placed into boxes.



Q: How do I clean the mushrooms?

A: Gently wipe mushrooms with a damp cloth or soft brush to remove peat moss particles. Avoid washing the mushrooms as they will absorb water and may discolour.

To learn more about preparing and cooking mushrooms view our recipes page